Monday, July 28, 2014

"Unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped" message on Android

PROBLEM: Frequently get the following message / error popup on your Android phone "Unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped".

I'm running a Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4 on it.  I have a corporate account set up with an Exchange connection type with my Calendar, Contacts and Email synchronised (I'm just using the default Android Calendar/Contacts/Email apps).

The problem started just after I upgraded to Android 4.4.4 but it may have been a coincidence (our work Exchange server had some issues about the same time and went down but I was getting the error even after it came back).  My email and contacts still synchronized but not calendar. When I disabled synching of my calendar the message stopped showing so the problem seems directly tied to synching of just my Outlook Calendar.

SOLUTION: The error has been reported in lots of previous versions of Android and there weren't really any posting about it specifically in relation to Android 4.4.4 so I suspect the problem is related to Exchange and Exchange Services.  The solution that worked for me was to remove the corporate account and re-add it:

  • Take note of your settings to make re-adding quicker (Settings > Accounts > Corporate > Account Settings > [Your Account] > Settings on this page plus those under Server Settings > Incoming Settings sub menu.
  • Delete your corporate account (Settings > Accounts > Corporate > [Your Account] > Top Right Menu > Remove Account (see below point first though)
  • It will give you a warning about how it will delete all your calendar, email and contact info - so only do this if you're sure it is all backed up on your work server (it should be, I didn't notice any issues after deleting it and re-adding it).
  • Re-add via Settings > Accounts > + Add account
  • You will probably receive a notification asking for Exchange to be given extra permissions - grant these.
  • Wait for everything to finish synchronising again and away you go, no more annoying alert!
Some people mentioned that perhaps Exchange was needing more permissions than what was originally permitted when first adding the account or perhaps some settings had been forgotten or lost (all weird I know but that is why removing it and re-adding it may work as it will prompt you when you re-add what permissions to give Exchange).  An approach that some suggested which I didn't try was to clear your data and cache (not sure if it would end up doing the same thing as removing your account or not).

  • Settings > Device > Apps > Calendar > Clear data / Clear Cache

I'm open to any other suggestions but as far as I'm concerned it did the trick for me!

No comments: